Sunday, 23 September 2007

How is Primark so Cheap?

Yesterday my friend and I pottered around town after a slightly beery lunch and wandered into Primark. I've been in and out of Primark but never been a real fan because I can't face the inevitable jumble sale rummage needed to find the right size or that by lunchtime there has been such a frantic bun fight that half the clothes are off the islands and hangers and strewn across the floor.

However, yesterday, I was cajoled into a visit by a friend who is a Primark devote. I ignored the screaming kids and stuff on the floor and the miserable sales assistants and found a few things that took my eye. quite a few actually. By the time I was ready to head to the checkout my blue collapsible carrier thing was fairly weighty (pant and vest set, 2 bra and pant sets, 2 bras, 2 pairs of pants, 2 t-shirts, a pack of socks and a fitted sheet for a king size bed). The total £33. It struck me at the time how cheap that was and I even passed comment to my friend. Surely the only way that Primark can sell those items to the consumer so cheaply and stay in business is by getting them made cheaply in the first place. Surely a sweat shop has been involved.

Just with one Google of 'Primark Sweatshops' it became apparent that this exactly how they and Asda and tonnes of other 'it's too good to be true' type shops offer clothes at such cheap prices. Ethical issues are generally close to my heart, but somehow my eyes have been closed to this whole area. But not anymore. For just one of hundreds of articles http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=421227&in_page_id=1770


DAILY SUMMARY
  • MOOD: Calm and Collected although with a hint of guilt that I haven't done any gardening
  • WEATHER: Rainy and cooler
  • GUINEA PIGS: Snuggled in their hutches
  • PANTS: Woolworths (and I don't believe for one second that's better than Primark)

No comments: